What to Pack in Your Emergency Grab & Go Bag.
Emergency evacuations can happen unexpectedly, and when they do, you may not have much time to pack your belongings.
The Canadian Red Cross has prepared a list of items that should be included in your Emergency Grab and Go Bag, containing all the essentials you need to survive for a few days. When you are evacuated from your home, you want to make sure you have everything you need to keep you and your family safe.
- Water: make sure you have enough to last at least three days. The rule of thumb is to have two liters of water per person per day.
- Food: It is also important to have non-perishable food items, such as canned goods, energy bars, and dried fruits. Do not forget to pack a can opener and utensils to eat with.
- Medications: prescription medications required daily and those that are taken sporadically (EPI pens, inhalers), pain relievers (Tylenol, Advil)
- First aid kit with basic medical supplies: such as bandages, gauze, antiseptic wipes, and pain relievers. Also, include any necessary prescription medications and copies of important medical documents.
- Warm clothing and blankets: in case of cold weather. You never know where you might be evacuated to, so having extra layers is important.
- Basic Safety Equipment: flashlight, extra batteries, and a portable radio to stay informed of the situation.
- Personal hygiene items: such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, and hand sanitizer.
- Cash: debit and credit cards will not work during a power outage or internet interruption.
- Important Documents: Driver’s License, Passport, insurance papers, etc.
- Cell Phone & Charger: to stay connected with family and receive updates about the emergency situation.
When disaster strikes, the time to prepare has passed. Having a “Grab and Go” bag ready will give you a small peace of mind and allow you to focus on your family.
In case of an emergency resulting in an evacuation order, we will keep you informed with daily updates through Everbridge via text messages and emails.
Once you and your family are in a safe location, you will be directed to complete the Employee Emergency Check-In Form on Conuma ICE. This will let us know that you are safe (our top priority), allow you to request support, and provide us with the details we require to plan for a safe and orderly re-entry once the evacuation order has been rescinded.
Note: The Employee Emergency Check-In Form will only be available during an evacuation order on the Conuma ICE page of our website.
– Stay Informed!
Download PDF Grab and Go Bag – December 2023